Powered by Blogger.

Sunday 17 December 2023

"Testi"

    

Third Sunday of Advent

17 December 2023

 
First Reading: Is 61:1-2A, 10-11
Responsorial Psalm: Lk 1:46-48, 49-50, 53-54
Second Reading: 1 Thes 5:16-24
Gospel: Jn 1:6-8, 19-28
 
Reflection
By: Bernard C. Borja

Friendster, anyone? Yes, I am probably one of those “people growing in wisdom” who once enjoyed reading testimonials in one of the first social media ever existed. “Pa-testi naman dyan!” A friend asked me to write something about him on his online profile where people in his friends list can read it. Not thinking much about it, I only wrote “Mabuting kaibigan.” I told him that I already wrote and posted a testimonial and asked him to also write one for me. The next day, his post came up. It was something more like a short biography. He wrote things that I used to do from our elementary days that I could barely remember especially weird things like, “Kumakain ng chalk”. Okay, I do remember munching on a piece of chalk during third grade, but I could have chosen the blackboard eraser for a soft chewy texture, right? Anyway, from the weird things during elementary, to dreams of being a rockstar musician that I once dreamed of during high school, my friend wrote like a five-page life-excerpt-thesis Friendster testimonial. It is obvious that he really enjoys writing testimonials for his friends. Most of my friends during college who read it laughed and somehow had an idea of how weird I can be. But some of them read through on how passionate and eager I was to dream of something that does not reflect my quiet and timid image. I did not even realize that, and I only looked at how weird I was and how I looked like a lizard because of being too skinny. Today, I remember how in that moment my old friend somehow shed light for me to glance at something I rarely see about myself.

Testimonials are based on truth. If it is not, then it’s just hearsay or “tsismis”. It can also be known as Feedback or Review in today’s term. Feedback or Reviews, like the ones in products being sold online, can help other people have an idea of something if it is good or bad. In short, it can make or break a person as some of his or her character is revealed. In today’s Gospel, we are reintroduced on John the Baptist’s humility, and his gladness in having the honor to testify to Jesus.

John knew that he was sent to prepare the way of the Lord. He was not the light, but somehow shed light to those who are preparing the way by repentance and baptism. The Gospel tells us how curious the people are about John that they sent Priests and Pharisees just to know more about him. Maybe they already heard some testimony from those who were baptized, but they still want to ask him themselves. Throughout his ministry, he redirects their curiosity and constantly points to the Messiah who is to come after him. All his life, I believe he never felt inferior for being a “shadow”, but he rejoices for testifying for the Lord. He knew he was not worthy, but he gladly proclaimed that the Lord God has anointed him.

If anyone today can read the Friendster testimonials I have written for my friends, they would probably just read it plainly, or scroll to the next, because it’s very short and generic. I realize now that giving testimony to someone, especially a friend, is an honor. My old friend somehow taught me about it as I reflect on those times. He took the opportunity to shed light on people’s hopeful trait despite the weirdness, and really enjoyed writing about it. Like John the Baptist, my old friend knew his assignment when giving testimonials – to take delight in having the honor to testify and shed light for others to see the good about the person he is testifying to. Today, let us rejoice in our testimony to Jesus as we prepare to share in God’s mission of bringing His light this Christmas.

Prayer

Dearest Lord, we thank You for granting us the grace of Your light for us to see ourselves in Your image. We take delight in sharing to the world all the blessings that You continue to pour unto us. We pray that in honor of being anointed to testify, may we remain humble in being generous to others and rejoice in knowing that we do Your holy will. In Jesus’ Name we pray, AMEN.

Dear Lord Jesus, as we prepare for Your birth,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you feel...

Followers

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP