Powered by Blogger.

Sunday 10 August 2008

Why Doubt?

19th Sunday in Ordinary Time
10 August 2008


Come, let us rejoice in the Lord, let us acclaim God our salvation, alleluia.


First reading 1 Kings 19:9 - 13
Then the word of the Lord came to him saying, ‘What are you doing here, Elijah?’ Then he was told, ‘Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord.’ Then the Lord himself went by. There came a mighty wind, so strong it tore the mountains and shattered the rocks before the Lord. But the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind came an earthquake. But the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire. But the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there came the sound of a gentle breeze. And when Elijah heard this, he covered his face with his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. Then a voice came to him, which said, ‘What are you doing here, Elijah?’

Psalm or canticle: Psalm 84

Second reading Romans 9:1 - 5
What I want to say now is no pretence; I say it in union with Christ – it is the truth – my conscience in union with the Holy Spirit assures me of it too. What I want to say is this: my sorrow is so great, my mental anguish so endless, I would willingly be condemned and be cut off from Christ if it could help my brothers of Israel, my own flesh and blood. They were adopted as sons, they were given the glory and the covenants; the Law and the ritual were drawn up for them, and the promises were made to them. They are descended from the patriarchs and from their flesh and blood came Christ who is above all, God for ever blessed! Amen.

Gospel Matthew 14:22 - 33
Directly after this Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side while he would send the crowds away. After sending the crowds away he went up into the hills by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, while the boat, by now far out on the lake, was battling with a heavy sea, for there was a head-wind. In the fourth watch of the night he went towards them, walking on the lake, and when the disciples saw him walking on the lake they were terrified. ‘It is a ghost’ they said, and cried out in fear. But at once Jesus called out to them, saying, ‘Courage! It is I! Do not be afraid.’ It was Peter who answered. ‘Lord,’ he said ‘if it is you, tell me to come to you across the water.’ ‘Come’ said Jesus. Then Peter got out of the boat and started walking towards Jesus across the water, but as soon as he felt the force of the wind, he took fright and began to sink. ‘Lord! Save me!’ he cried. Jesus put out his hand at once and held him. ‘Man of little faith,’ he said ‘why did you doubt?’ And as they got into the boat the wind dropped. The men in the boat bowed down before him and said, ‘Truly, you are the Son of God.’

Reflection
By Anabelle Payod-Balla

My niece was diagnosed with rheumatic fever that almost crippled her, limiting her movements due to painful inflamed joints. I keep praying for her, asking God to touch her with His healing power. One day, I caught myself thinking and saying that she maybe another “angel” of the family, like my sister Joy who died early in her childhood. Unconsciously, I seem to have this belief that my niece’s case is hopeless. And this is totally opposing my prayer for healing! I am praying for healing with my lips but my mind seems set on accepting her unfortunate fate! How contradicting, how doubtful I was.

When I realized this, I started to align my thoughts to what I am asking in prayer. I started believing in what I am asking God to do. I know nothing is impossible for Him and that He answers prayers when we say them in faith, especially if we are asking for something that can improve life or our relationship with Him. My niece can now walk without us helping her and is now able to enjoy swimming in the pool again.

The other message from this Sunday’s Gospel is that when we keep our eyes fixed on Jesus and trust Him, we can do things that seems impossible for men. Like Peter who was able to walk on water when his eyes were on Jesus. He only started to sink when he got distracted by a strong wind and felt afraid. Luckily, Jesus was near and ready to save him.

There are too many distractions and challenges in our life today that could get our focus away from God. So the key is to be aware of this possibility and keep that strong desire to stay with Jesus so we can do great things in His power. And if ever we need saving, worry not for Jesus is near. We only have to call on Him for help.

Anluwage.com




Father, I entrust You my life and all of my love ones. You know best what is good for us. Please keep us safely anchored at Your side. Amen.

Fix your eyes on Jesus. There is no reason to doubt.

1 comment:

  1. Very enlighting reflection. Thank you. I really need to focus to Jesus and align my prayers with my thoughts then maybe I could get what I've been asking for.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you feel...

Followers

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP