Powered by Blogger.

Sunday 24 August 2008

Jesus Revealed


21st Sunday in Ordinary Time
24 August 2008


Come, let us rejoice in the Lord, let us acclaim God our salvation, alleluia.


First reading: Isaiah 22:19 - 23
I dismiss you from your office,I remove you from your post,and the same day I call on my servant Eliakim son of Hilkiah. I invest him with your robe,gird him with your sash,entrust him with your authority; and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and to the House of Judah.I place the key of the House of David on his shoulder;should he open, no one shall close,should he close, no one shall open.I drive him like a peg into a firm place;he will become a throne of glory for his father’s house.

Second reading: Romans 11:33 - 36
How rich are the depths of God – how deep his wisdom and knowledge – and how impossible to penetrate his motives or understand his methods! Who could ever know the mind of the Lord? Who could ever be his counsellor? Who could ever give him anything or lend him anything? All that exists comes from him; all is by him and for him. To him be glory for ever! Amen.

Gospel: Matthew 16:13 - 20
When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi he put this question to his disciples, ‘Who do people say the Son of Man is?’ And they said, ‘Some say he is John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.’ ‘But you,’ he said ‘who do you say I am?’ Then Simon Peter spoke up, ‘You are the Christ,’ he said, ‘the Son of the living God.’ Jesus replied, ‘Simon son of Jonah, you are a happy man! Because it was not flesh and blood that revealed this to you but my Father in heaven. So I now say to you: You are Peter and on this rock I will build my Church. And the gates of the underworld can never hold out against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven: whatever you bind on earth shall be considered bound in heaven; whatever you loose on earth shall be considered loosed in heaven.’ Then he gave the disciples strict orders not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

Reflection
By Annabelle Payod-Balla

Curiosity drove me to ask my Israeli colleague who is a very good friend of mine, about Jesus. He told me that Jesus is just an immortal man and that he grew up in this belief. I was troubled by his response and I told him who Jesus is in my life.

When Jesus asked, “… who do you say I am?’ Peter’s response was “You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God.” How lucky Peter was because God revealed Jesus to him! And because of his confession, the rock solid foundation of our Church was built. Peter, our very first Pope was given the keys of the kingdom of heaven!

I am lucky too. God revealed Jesus to me at a young age. From that time on, my life changed. I am no longer living a meaningless ordinary life. I am living my life with Jesus. A life full of sweet sufferings, endless awareness of and battles between good and evil, a life full of color, adventure and meaning. Jesus overwhelms me with everlasting joy, peace, hope, understanding, compassion and love. He opened by eyes to the beauty of God’s creation, beyond what eyes can see. He leads me to the path to heaven. I am truly blessed. How wonderful it is to have Jesus in my life. He is my true north!

How about you, who is Jesus to you?

Anluwage.com



Jesus, Jesus, Oh Jesus. Thank you! Thank you for being in my life. Amen.

Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Let us recognize Him as the Lord of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you feel...

Followers

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP