Powered by Blogger.

Saturday 20 June 2009

Made Perfect in Weakness


The Immaculate Heart of Mary
20 June 2009



Come, let us worship Christ, the son of Mary.


First reading 2 Corinthians 12:1-10
Must I go on boasting, though there is nothing to be gained by it? But I will move on to the visions and revelations I have had from the Lord. I know a man in Christ who, fourteen years ago, was caught up whether still in the body or out of the body, I do not know; God knows-right into the third heaven. I do know, however, that this same person – whether in the body or out of the body, I do not know; God knows – was caught up into paradise and heard things which must not and cannot be put into human language. I will boast about a man like that, but not about anything of my own except my weaknesses. If I should decide to boast, I should not be made to look foolish, because I should only be speaking the truth; but I am not going to, in case anyone should begin to think I am better than he can actually see and hear me to be.

In view of the extraordinary nature of these revelations, to stop me from getting too proud I was given a thorn in the flesh, an angel of Satan to beat me and stop me from getting too proud! About this thing, I have pleaded with the Lord three times for it to leave me, but he has said, ‘My grace is enough for you: my power is at its best in weakness.’ So I shall be very happy to make my weaknesses my special boast so that the power of Christ may stay over me, and that is why I am quite content with my weaknesses, and with insults, hardships, persecutions, and the agonies I go through for Christ’s sake. For it is when I am weak that I am strong.

Psalm or canticle: Psalm 33:8-13

Gospel Luke 2:41-51
Every year the parents of Jesus used to go to Jerusalem for the feast of the Passover. When he was twelve years old, they went up for the feast as usual. When they were on their way home after the feast, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem without his parents knowing it. They assumed he was with the caravan, and it was only after a day’s journey that they went to look for him among their relations and acquaintances. When they failed to find him they went back to Jerusalem looking for him everywhere.

Three days later, they found him in the Temple, sitting among the doctors, listening to them, and asking them questions; and all those who heard him were astounded at his intelligence and his replies. They were overcome when they saw him, and his mother said to him, ‘My child, why have, you done this to us? See how worried your father and I have been, looking for you.’

'Why were you looking for me?’ he replied ‘Did you not know that I must be busy with my Father’s affairs?’ But they did not understand what he meant.

He then went down with them and came to Nazareth and lived under their authority. His mother stored up all these things in her heart.


Reflection
By Grace Madrinan

Several years ago, this verse from St. Paul from 2 Corinthians 12:9, became one of my reminders on why I should not yield to depression -- "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness”

I almost wanted to rebel on my job. For six long years on the same department, I have been giving my 101% on my tasks – managing multiple projects, overseeing audacious goals and even doing overtime just to ensure every plan is smooth. Yet I was denied the recognition I deserved, I remain stagnant on my position and worst of all, my manager told me that I was performing below expectations.

I prayed to God to rescue me. If possible, to take away the pain and humiliation at that very instance. But this verse continues to ring on, and I kept this verse in my heart. I pursued to do the job at my best, knowing that my recognition is with the Lord. At the back of my mind, I have formed a goal that someday, with God’s help, I will be able to quit the rat race and move out from the pit that I was in. With a goal in mind and a fire in my heart, I was able to redeem my self-esteem. Three years after, I was able to change jobs and all my sufferings He has replaced with joy and abundance.

When I asked God to rescue me, He could have easily done it as quickly as that. Instead, He has nurtured me through the pain with humility and perseverance. I realized that though I am at my lowest point in my life, it was also the time when I was most spiritually attuned. I browsed back at my journals and it contains a lot of Bible verses which I now know God has sustained me all along, which made more sense with the verse, “For in fire gold is tested, and worthy men in the crucible of humiliation” (Sirach 2:5).

I did not understand it then, but time made it clearer. My biggest problem has become my biggest blessing. I would not have appreciated the abundance if I have not experienced hunger. What happened to me is a testimony of the awesome power of God. All this has happened so that God may be glorified. Blessed be the name of the Lord!

Anluwage.com




Father, we thank You for perfecting us in our weaknesses. Like the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary, may we be faithful, obedient, and trustworthy to the ways of Your Son Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you feel...

Followers

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP