Powered by Blogger.

Monday 22 February 2010

Transform!



Second Sunday of Lent
28 February 2010


Come, today, and listen to his voice: do not harden your hearts.


First reading Genesis 15:5-12,17-18
Taking Abram outside, the Lord said, ‘Look up to heaven and count the stars if you can. Such will be your descendants.’ Abram put his faith in the Lord, who counted this as making him justified.
‘I am the Lord’ he said to him ‘who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldaeans to make you heir to this land.’ ‘My Lord,’ Abram replied ‘how am I to know that I shall inherit it?’ He said to him, ‘Get me a three-year-old heifer, a three-year-old goat, a three-year-old ram, a turtledove and a young pigeon.’ He brought him all these, cut them in half and put half on one side and half facing it on the other; but the birds he did not cut in half. Birds of prey came down on the carcases but Abram drove them off.
When the sun had set and darkness had fallen, there appeared a smoking furnace and a firebrand that went between the halves. That day the Lord made a Covenant with Abram in these terms:
‘To your descendants I give this land,
from the wadi of Egypt to the Great River.’

Psalm or canticle: Psalm 26:1,7-9,13-14

Second reading Philippians 3:17-4:1
My brothers, be united in following my rule of life. Take as your models everybody who is already doing this and study them as you used to study us. I have told you often, and I repeat it today with tears, there are many who are behaving as the enemies of the cross of Christ. They are destined to be lost. They make foods into their god and they are proudest of something they ought to think shameful; the things they think important are earthly things. For us, our homeland is in heaven, and from heaven comes the saviour we are waiting for, the Lord Jesus Christ, and he will transfigure these wretched bodies of ours into copies of his glorious body. He will do that by the same power with which he can subdue the whole universe.
So then, my brothers and dear friends, do not give way but remain faithful in the Lord. I miss you very much, dear friends; you are my joy and my crown.

Gospel Luke 9:28-36
Jesus took with him Peter and John and James and went up the mountain to pray. As he prayed, the aspect of his face was changed and his clothing became brilliant as lightning. Suddenly there were two men there talking to him; they were Moses and Elijah appearing in glory, and they were speaking of his passing which he was to accomplish in Jerusalem. Peter and his companions were heavy with sleep, but they kept awake and saw his glory and the two men standing with him. As these were leaving him, Peter said to Jesus, ‘Master, it is wonderful for us to be here; so let us make three tents, one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.’ – He did not know what he was saying. As he spoke, a cloud came and covered them with shadow; and when they went into the cloud the disciples were afraid. And a voice came from the cloud saying, ‘This is my Son, the Chosen One. Listen to him.’ And after the voice had spoken, Jesus was found alone. The disciples kept silence and, at that time, told no one what they had seen.

Reflection
By Benj Santiago

“While He was praying, His face changed its appearance, and His clothes became dazzling white” (Luke 9:29)

Transfiguration is not limited to Christ. He has promised: “He will change our weak mortal bodies and make them like His own glorious body, using that power by which He is able to bring all things under His rule” (Philippians 3:21)

Prayers are the source of our power to transform ourselves. When we pray we change our appearance, ourselves!

In many cases of great stress and testing, we often think of things that will aggravate or worsen the situations. It is only by praying that we are able to change these negative things we have in mind.

I have encountered many instances of great trials which make me think and act very aggressive and harsh, even to those I love very much. It is only when I keep quiet, and pray for inspiration that I am able to transform myself from being a monster back to my better self.

I notice too, that with constant prayer during my prayer time, my weaknesses are slowly but surely overcome.


Lord God, continue to transform us with Your mighty powers that bring anything and everything to Your rule. May we be blessed with wisdom to find time to stop and pray, and ponder on Your words so that we may continue to transform for the better, and that others may see Jesus in us. Amen.

Next week on God-speak
Chances

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you feel...

Followers

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP