Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday 10 August 2011

Great Feast Prepared For Us



20th Sunday in Ordinary Time
14 August 2011



We are God’s people, the sheep of his flock: come, let us worship him, alleluia.


First reading Isaiah 56:1,6-7
Thus says the Lord: Have a care for justice, act with integrity, for soon my salvation will come and my integrity be manifest.
Foreigners who have attached themselves to the Lord to serve him and to love his name and be his servants – all who observe the sabbath, not profaning it, and cling to my covenant – these I will bring to my holy mountain. I will make them joyful in my house of prayer. Their holocausts and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar, for my house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples.

Psalm: Psalm 66:2-3,5-6,8

Second reading Romans 11:13-15,29-32
Let me tell you pagans this: I have been sent to the pagans as their apostle, and I am proud of being sent, but the purpose of it is to make my own people envious of you, and in this way save some of them. Since their rejection meant the reconciliation of the world, do you know what their admission will mean? Nothing less than a resurrection from the dead!
God never takes back his gifts or revokes his choice.
Just as you changed from being disobedient to God, and now enjoy mercy because of their disobedience, so those who are disobedient now – and only because of the mercy shown to you – will also enjoy mercy eventually. God has imprisoned all men in their own disobedience only to show mercy to all mankind.

Gospel Matthew 15:21-28
Jesus left Gennesaret and withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. Then out came a Canaanite woman from that district and started shouting, ‘Sir, Son of David, take pity on me. My daughter is tormented by a devil.’ But he answered her not a word. And his disciples went and pleaded with him. ‘Give her what she wants,’ they said ‘because she is shouting after us.’ He said in reply, ‘I was sent only to the lost sheep of the House of Israel.’ But the woman had come up and was kneeling at his feet. ‘Lord,’ she said ‘help me.’ He replied, ‘It is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the house-dogs.’ She retorted, ‘Ah yes, sir; but even house-dogs can eat the scraps that fall from their master’s table.’ Then Jesus answered her, ‘Woman, you have great faith. Let your wish be granted.’ And from that moment her daughter was well again.

Reflection
By Nats Vibiesca

Last Sunday Gospel, Jesus said to Peter, “O, man of little faith!” But in the Gospel today, our Lord said to the Canaanite woman, “O woman, great is your faith!”

Did you notice the irony?

Peter was so proud of himself and thought that he can really walk on water. But he sank easily when the strong waves came. Peter cried out loud, “Lord, save me!” Then Jesus said, “Go back to the special training! You will never walk on water that way! O, man of little feet!” (forgive me for my rough translation)

Now, a very humble woman, calling out loud to Jesus. She was begging like a dog, waiting for scraps from her master’s banquet, and believing in her cause against all odds. So Jesus said, “This is true woman empowerment! O woman, you’re name must be faith!” (sorry, this is what I thought Jesus said)

My reflection is that great faith springs from true humility—when I have nothing, in times of desperation, and I call out to God, “Lord, You know that I already did my best... Every night I cry to You for help. You’re my only hope now.”

All that I have becomes insignificant when I totally depend on God—faith is not about my knowledge, my educational background, my experience, and my position. Its not even how I know God or how many theological studies I obtained. Jesus knows best what is great faith. It is when I wait for scraps from His banquet because I am dying. But God comes down on me and lifts me up for a great feast prepared for us!

I know its not easy to be humiliated or to be in a humiliating situations but the sincerity of the Canaanite woman to ask Jesus’ help was something that even the disciples did not show. To call with all your heart and sincerity will surely catch the attention of Jesus. For God cares about every cry.

Then, all sickness in my life will be healed! In the great feast of the Lord all my daughters, sons or anyone in my family will surely be well!

Prayer: Our Lord Jesus, we sincerely call on You to help us in all our needs. We ask the intercession of our Blessed Virgin Mary in all our afflictions as we celebrate tomorrow the Solemnity of the Assumption. May the great faith of Mama Mary be the perfect example for us to proclaim the goodness of the Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you feel...

Followers

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP