Powered by Blogger.

Thursday 25 August 2011

The Most Enthusiastic Friend of Jesus



22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time
28 August 2011



We are God’s people, the sheep of his flock: come, let us worship him, alleluia.


First reading Jeremiah 20:7-9
You have seduced me, Lord, and I have let myself be seduced;
you have overpowered me: you were the stronger.
I am a daily laughing-stock,
everybody’s butt.
Each time I speak the word, I have to howl
and proclaim: ‘Violence and ruin!’
The word of the Lord has meant for me
insult, derision, all day long.
I used to say, ‘I will not think about him,
I will not speak in his name any more.’
Then there seemed to be a fire burning in my heart,
imprisoned in my bones.
The effort to restrain it wearied me,
I could not bear it.

Psalm: Psalm 62:2-6,8-9

Second reading Romans 12:1-2
Think of God’s mercy, my brothers, and worship him, I beg you, in a way that is worthy of thinking beings, by offering your living bodies as a holy sacrifice, truly pleasing to God. Do not model yourselves on the behaviour of the world around you, but let your behaviour change, modelled by your new mind. This is the only way to discover the will of God and know what is good, what it is that God wants, what is the perfect thing to do.

Gospel Matthew 16:21-27
Jesus began to make it clear to his disciples that he was destined to go to Jerusalem and suffer grievously at the hands of the elders and chief priests and scribes, to be put to death and to be raised up on the third day. Then, taking him aside, Peter started to remonstrate with him. ‘Heaven preserve you, Lord;’ he said ‘this must not happen to you.’ But he turned and said to Peter, ‘Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle in my path, because the way you think is not God’s way but man’s.’
Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross and follow me. For anyone who wants to save his life will lose it; but anyone who loses his life for my sake will find it. What, then, will a man gain if he wins the whole world and ruins his life? Or what has a man to offer in exchange for his life?
‘For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and, when he does, he will reward each one according to his behaviour.’

Reflection
By Nats Vibiesca

Peter must be in ‘ecstasy’ (for the Greeks it means to be out of yourself) when he said, “Don’t worry, Bestfriend! I will not let anybody harm you!” (while clenching his fist)

At times, Peter’s enthusiasms bring him trouble with his Bestfriend.
Jesus immediately reprimand him, “Are you drunk? Back off! Get some fresh air! Let me do my job!” (you will not find this in the Bible, it is the latest translation according to me)

Peter was always enthusiastic about his Bestfriend Jesus. (they are bestfriends because they remain true friends until the end).
One time, he volunteered to walk on water. Other times, he was always raising his hand to answer the teacher’s question; and so Jesus gave him the keys of heaven.

Peter was not aware that he had the ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) symptoms.
Actually, both Jesus and Peter were always full of enthusiasm about the wonderful landscape waiting for us. They are enthusiastic about the new paths. They experience the work of salvation intensely.

Their enthusiastic auras sweep others and are moved by their words and actions.

Jesus always wants us to be enthusiastic about our experiences. He wants us to have lively and fresh conversation, and not conversing aimlessly passing from one thing to another.

It is the same enthusiasm that I should pray for—that I may radiate life! All of us are called to sparkle with enthusiasm! That we should not just sit around in the evening and moan about things.

Although Peter sweep others along with his idea, when his Bestfriend tells him that he was just too talkative, he would stop and listen.

Listening must be the secret of maintaining our enthusiasm.

If I ignore my wife speaking and do not stop talking emphatically about my ideas, chances are, I will not sustain my energy and I will end up uninterested.

If I refuse to listen to my children’s version over things, instead keep on talking about things I want to tell them, chances are, my views will be boring and will be ineffective.

If I never give my friends their fair chance to express their thoughts and opinions, for sure, they will leave me alone and would be happy to see me talking to myself.

It is in the art of knowing when to talk and when to listen that true enthusiasm would sweep others along with your ideas, enliven them and fill them with spirit!

Lord Jesus, thank You for inviting us to be very enthusiastic in our Christian life through the faith You gave us! We pray that You grant us the joy in life and transform us everyday to be enthusiastic for the people we meet. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you feel...

Followers

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP