Powered by Blogger.

Friday 28 October 2011

Banal na Aso, Santong Kabayo

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
First Reading: Malachi 1:14, 2:2, 8-10

Cursed is the deceiver, who has in his flock a male, but under his vow sacrifices to the LORD a gelding; For a great King am I, says the LORD of hosts, and my name will be feared among the nations.

And now, O priests, this commandment is for you: If you do not listen,

And if you do not lay it to heart, to give glory to my name, says the LORD of hosts, I will send a curse upon you and of your blessing I will make a curse. Yes, I have already cursed it, because you do not lay it to heart.

But you have turned aside from the way, and have caused many to falter by your instruction; You have made void the covenant of Levi, says the LORD of hosts.

I, therefore, have made you contemptible and base before all the people, Since you do not keep my ways, but show partiality in your decisions.

Have we not all the one Father? Has not the one God created us? Why then do we break faith with each other, violating the covenant of our fathers?

Resp. Psalm: Psalm 131:1, 2, 3

Second Reading 1Thess. 2:7, 9, 13

Although we were able to impose our weight as apostles of Christ. Rather, we were gentle among you, as a nursing mother cares for her children.

With such affection for you, we were determined to share with you not only the gospel of God, but our very selves as well, so dearly beloved had you become to us.

You recall, brothers, our toil and drudgery. Working night and day in order not to burden any of you, we proclaimed to you the gospel of God.

And for this reason we too give thanks to God unceasingly, that, in receiving the word of God from hearing us, you received not a human word but, as it truly is, the word of God, which is now at work in you who believe.

Matthew 23:1-12

Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying, "The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens  (hard to carry) and lay them on people's shoulders, but they will not lift a finger to move them. All their works are performed to be seen. They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels. They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues, greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation 'Rabbi.' As for you, do not be called 'Rabbi.' You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers. Call no one on earth your father; you have but one Father in heaven. Do not be called 'Master'; you have but one master, the Messiah. The greatest among you must be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Reflection
By Patty de la Rosa-Paat


I think most of us are familiar with the song “Banal Na Aso, Santong Kabayo” this is a classic Filipino folk song by Yano a Folk/Punk rock band here in our country it was released and became popular in the 90s. Yano band being known to their social and political theme they came up with this song which attacks religious hypocrisy.

After 16 years, in May of 2010 the song was popularized again by a semi-finalist contestant of Pilipinas Got Talent named Joel Amper a.k.a “Big Mouth” who is an animal impersonator and stand-up comedian. This guy has a unique interpretation of “Banal Na Aso, Santong Kabayo”; he made the song sound funny, scary and weird as he sounds like a horse. His performance is a remarkable one and made him known all over the world.

The song may vary in different ways, in different interpretations but its meaning will be the same. It shows the true color of the so called “ Godly Person”.

In Holy Bible Scribes and Pharisees are the hypocrites in Jesus’ time. As Jesus said “For they preach but they do not practice.” These religious leaders pretend to be more righteous than others. They love to be recognized and praised by other people. These people I think are the biggest headache of Jesus during His time.

Unfortunately, this is true and it’s still happen nowadays. There are some followers of Christ who look holy before others, but in reality they do things of which God and conscience disapprove. They claimed to know the right way, demand others to live it, but not live it themselves.

Jesus Himself showed dismay to Scribes and Pharisees for being deceitful and for having egotistical attitude. Jesus said to His disciples “ Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.” In God’s eye we are all in equal footing regardless of who we are and what we have or what we achieved in life. We have all sinned and deserve God's judgment. And as we do the right thing before Him and we are faithfully following the teachings of Christ, the kingdom of heaven will be open to us.

The Gospel reading reminded me of Andoy’s story which has caught the attention of many on Facebook:

Somewhere in Milaor, Camarines Sur, there lived a fourth grader boy who would follow this route to school every day: He has to cross the rugged plains and cross the dangerous highway where vehicles are recklessly driving to and from. Once past this highway, the boy would take a short cut, passing by the Church every morning just to say Hi to God, and faithfully say his, "Magandang umaga po" in Bicol dialect. He was faithfully being watched by a Priest who was happy to find innocence so uplifting in the morning,

Kamusta, Andoy? Papasok ka na?"

"Opo padre ... "he would flash his innocent grin, the priest would be touched. He was so concerned that one day he talked to Andoy.

"From school...", he advised "Do not cross the highway, you can pass through the Church and I can accompany you to the other side of the road...that way I can see that you are home safe...."

"Thank you father ... "

"Why don't you go home ... why do you stay in this church right after school?"

"I just want to say 'Hi' to my friend, God," and the priest would leave the boy to spend time beside the altar, talking to himself, but the priest was hiding behind the altar to listen to what this boy has to say to his heavenly FATHER.

"You know my math exam was pretty bad today, but I did not cheat although my seatmate is bullying me for notes... I ate one cracker and drank my water, Itay had a bad season and all I can eat is this cracker. Thank you for this! I saw a poor kitten who was hungry and I know how he feels so I gave my last cracker to him ... funny but I am not that hungry.

Look, this is my last pair of slippers ...I may have to walk barefoot next week, you see this is about to be broken... but it is okay....at least I am still going to school.... Some say we will have a hard season this month, some of my classmates have already stopped going to school .... please help them get to school again, please God?

....Oh, you know, Inay hit me again, it is painful, but I know this pain will pass away, at least I still have a mother.... God, you want to see my bruises? I know you can heal them.... Here... here and .... oh ...blood ....I guess you knew about this one huh? Please don't be mad at Inay, she is just tired and she worries for the food in our table and my schooling that is why she hits us....Oh, I think I am in love ... there's this pretty girl in my class, her name is Anita ... do you think she will like me? Anyway, at least I know you will always like me, I don't have to be anybody just to please you, you are my very best friend! Hey your birthday is two days from now!!! Aren't you excited? I am! Wait till you see, I have a gift for you . But it is a surprise! I hope you will like it! Oooops, I have to go ..." then he stood up and calls out, "Padre, padre, I am finished talking to my friend ....you can accompany me to the other side of the road now"

This routine happens every day. Andoy never fails. Father Agaton shares this every Sunday to the people in his church because he has not seen a very pure faith and trust in God, a very positive look at negative situations. One Christmas day, Father Agaton was sick so he could not make it in the Church, he was sent to the hospital. The Church was left to 4 manangs who would chant the rosary in 1000 miles per hour, would not smile and would always find fault in what you do, they were also very well versed in cursing if you irritate them! They were kneeling, saying their kilometric rosary when Andoy, coming from his Christmas party, playfully dashed in.

"Hello God! I ......"

"P----!! (a curse) bata ka!! Alam mo nang may nagdadasal!! Alis!!"

Poor Andoy was so terrified, "Where's Father Agaton? He is supposed to help me cross the street ... and to be able to cross the street I will have to pass by the back door of this church not only that, I have to greet Jesus. It is His birthday, I have a gift right here....

" Just as he was about to get the gift out of his shirt, the manang pulled his shirt and threw him out of the church. "Susmaryosep!!! (does the sign of the cross fervently) Alis kang bata ka, kung hindi matatamaan ka!!! So the boy had no choice but to cross the dangerous side of the road in front of the church. He crossed. A fast moving bus came in.

There was a blind curve. The boy was protecting his gift inside his shirt, so he was not looking. There was so little time. Andoy died on the spot. A lot of people crowded the poor boy, the body of a lifeless young boy ... Suddenly, out of nowhere a tall man in a pure white shirt and pants, a face so mild and gentle, but with eyes full of tears... He came and carried the boy in His arms. He was crying. Curious bystanders nudged the man in white, and asked, "Excuse me sir, are you related to this child?

Do you know this child?"

The man in white, His face mourning and in agony, looked up and answered, "He was my best friend . " was all he said. He took the badly wrapped gift in the bloody chest of the lifeless boy, and placed it near His heart. He stood up and carried the boy away and they both disappeared in sight.

The crowd was curious ... On Christmas Eve, Father Agaton learned of the shocking news. He visited the house, and wanted to verify about the man in white. He consulted the parents of Andoy.

"How did you know that your son died?" "A man in white brought him here." sobbed the mother. "What did he say?" The father answered, "He did not say anything. He was mourning. We do not know him and yet he was very lonely about our son's death, as if he knew our son very well. But there was something peaceful and unexplainable about him.

He gave me my son, and then he smiled peacefully. He brushed my son's hair away from his face and kissed him on his forehead, then he whispered something..." "What did he say?"

"He said to my boy..." the father began, "Thank you for the gift .... I will see you soon ... you will be with me..." and the father of the boy continued, "and you know for a while, it felt so wonderful ... I cried, but I do not know why....all I know is I cried tears of joy .... I could not explain it, Father, but when that man left, something peaceful came over me, I felt a deep sense of love inside ... I could not explain the joy in my heart, I knew my boy is in heaven now but...tell me, Father, who is this man that my son talks to everyday in your church, you should know because you are always there ... except at the time of his death ......"Father Agaton suddenly felt the tears welling in his eyes, with trembling knees, he murmured, " ... He was talking to no one ..... but .. GOD...."

Now ask yourself: Are you the child Andoy? Fr. Agaton or one of the Manangs who prayed the rosary?


REMEMBER: “ HYPOCRISY… IS THE LIE, IS THE TRUE SISTER OF EVIL, INTOLERANCE AND CRUELTY ”

Prayer:

Heavenly Father, we believe that there is only one Church establish by Christ with Your Divine providence. And now we pray for the unity of all believers of Your Son and our Savior Jesus Christ. May the power of Your Spirit heal us. Help us to strengthen our faith in You so that we may understand the purpose of Your will and to make our love fruitful in service for we are here not to be served but to serve You and Your people. Amen.


www.anluwage.com








1 comment:

Tell us what you feel...

Followers

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP