Powered by Blogger.

Saturday 19 May 2012

" Will and Testament "

Seventh Sunday of Easter
May 20, 2012
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

First Reading: Acts 1:15-17, 20-26

During those days Peter stood up in the midst of the brothers (there was a group of about one hundred and twenty persons in the one place). He said, "My brothers, the scripture had to be fulfilled which the holy Spirit spoke beforehand through the mouth of David, concerning Judas, who was the guide for those who arrested Jesus. He was numbered among us and was allotted a share in this ministry. For it is written in the Book of Psalms: 'Let his encampment become desolate, and may no one dwell in it.' And: 'May another take his office.' Therefore, it is necessary that one of the men who accompanied us the whole time the Lord Jesus came and went among us, beginning from the baptism of John until the day on which he was taken up from us, become with us a witness to his resurrection." So they proposed two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and Matthias. Then they prayed, "You, Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which one of these two you have chosen to take the place in this apostolic ministry from which Judas turned away to go to his own place." Then they gave lots to them, and the lot fell upon Matthias, and he was counted with the eleven apostles.

Resp. Psalm: Psalms 103-1-2, 11-12, 1-20

Second Reading: 1John 4:11-16

Beloved, if God so loved us, we also must love one another. No one has ever seen God. Yet, if we love one another, God remains in us, and his love is brought to perfection in us. This is how we know that we remain in him and he in us, that he has given us of his Spirit. Moreover, we have seen and testify that the Father sent his Son as savior of the world. Whoever acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God remains in him and He in God. We have come to know and to believe in the love God has for us. God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him.

Gospel: John 17:11-19

And now I will no longer be in the world, but they are in the world, while I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one just as we are. When I was with them I protected them in your name that you gave me, and I guarded them, and none of them was lost except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you. I speak this in the world so that they may share my joy completely. I gave them your word, and the world hated them, because they do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world but that you keep them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world. Consecrate them in the truth. Your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world. And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth.


Reflection:
By Ana Balla

I am the youngest and only daughter in a brood of three. When we were young and my parents have to go out of town for a couple of days, we were left in the care of our “Ate Flor”. Before they left, my mother handed her a list of menu and reminders, as well as a list of emergency numbers. As they move towards the door, I came running, crying and pleading my mother not to leave me. It is really an issue for me. Can you relate with me on this scenario?

Despite the absence of my parents, our routine stayed the same. Ate Flor wakes us up on time, prepares our meals, gives my medicines and vitamins, brings and fetches me to school, yells my name in our street which means playtime is over and it’s already time for homework, prepares our supper, reminds me of my medicines again, and last but not the least, the most lovely part for me, she scratches my back as I sleep. Yes, I used to sleep beside her.   There were still times like now, that I  think about her, how she is and where she is today.

Being away from their kids is not at all a relief but a risk for parents. They would usually call at home just to check on their children, a sign that they are thinking of the children’s welfare. After everything is done, they are excited to see and be with their children again. I relate the characters of my story in today’s Gospel, to the Solemnity of the Ascension of the Lord. An automatic and usual reaction of being left behind is sadness and despair. As I made my parents’ temporary trips an issue when I was young, being left behind for me means I did not behave well. Some people, when being left aside, tends to blame themselves for the bad things that happened. Others, feel resentment with the person who left and are afraid to love again. Nevertheless, if you look a bit deeper, we are not really afraid to love again but what scares us is not to be loved in return.  Jesus, as our Lord, gave also some reminders for safekeeping. He entrusted us to His first disciples. Jesus instructed them to accompany us in our journey towards the Father, preach everywhere, and heal the sick. These were on top of Jesus’ list. Then it was handed down from generation to generation until it reached Ate Flor.

If you wonder who Ate Flor is, you may go back to the second paragraph of this reflection and see how glorious and committed she was in fulfilling Jesus’ assignment to mankind.  Ate Flor’s wondrous deeds remind me of St. Therese of the Child Jesus’ quote, “Even the simplest things when done with great love produces great results.” Each of us has the capability to preach the Gospel. Every human being who is created in God’s image and likeness are called to this mission. No other social status can hinder or be an excuse in touching our neighbor’s life.

Remember individual differences. We cannot be jack of all trades. That is why it is okay if you are not too attractive as the next person sitting to you or you are not as smart as Jose Rizal.  Ate Flor took care of a young girl for six years. She started loving the little girl when she was 4 years old, not yet on her age of reason and yet at some point, beyond reason, the grown-up girl recognized her as a true disciple of Jesus.

 From Jesus’ disciples to Ate Flor and then, carefully, handed to me. I read somewhere that the more we are blessed the more we have responsibilities.  I am saved by God’s grace that is why as a thanksgiving and as a response of being loved so much, I am also blessing the world in Jesus’ name.  Jesus did not say it would be easy. No rose petals will be laid down on our path instead, there will be time where thorns would prick us, bleed us to the core. However, He also promised lasting and real happiness as we lay our rests in Him, just as a parent with wide arms open embracing his/her child.

 Jesus’ greatness never stops. His goodness is passed down across centuries. He provides. He is always with us!

 Prayer:

Jesus, thank You for entrusting us to the care of Your chosen disciples. You are always there to look after our welfare. Like You, may we also look after the people that You have entrusted under our care. Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you feel...

Followers

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP