Powered by Blogger.

Monday 13 August 2012

Bread, Not Cake

Twentieth Sunday
in Ordinary Time
August 19, 2012

First Reading: Prv 9:1-6

Wisdom has built her house, she has set up her seven columns; she has dressed her meat, mixed her wine, yes, she has spread her table. She has sent out her maidens; she calls from the heights out over the city: " Let whoever is simple turn in here; To the one who lacks understanding, she says, Come, eat of my food, and drink of the wine I have mixed! Forsake foolishness that you may live; advance in the way of understanding."

Responsorial Psalm: Ps 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7

Second Reading: Eph 5:15-20

Brothers and sisters:

Watch carefully how you live, not as foolish persons but as wise, making the most of the opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not continue in ignorance, but try to understand what is the will of the Lord. And do not get drunk on wine, in which lies  debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and playing to the Lord in your hearts, giving thanks always and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father.

Gospel: Jn 6:51-58

Jesus said to the crowds: "I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world." The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever."

Reflection
By Fidji Rivera-Sarmiento

I’m such a foodie. Plus, I associate great memories with gastronomic experiences. If it’s my Lola Bella’s birthday, we know food would be elegant. It would be in a fine dining restaurant, or at least catered. If it’s my Dad’s birthday, it would be an “inihaw” party with LOTS of fresh seafood they scoured early in the morning from Farmer’s in Cubao. If it’s time to meet up with high school friends, it would be a street food galore since it is reminiscent of our carefree days (well books and “isaw” days, if I may say). If the celebration is among women, you know there’ll be coffee and cakes. You know, I also mark my kids’ milestones with the food they tried. (B tried broccoli and he liked it. M tried bagoong and he had rashes all over. Oops. N tried mashed chayotes with fried Tilapia and her smile was superb!) Everything with food! I guess I am not alone in this, as every culture no matter where in the world, love food. This is basically why Jesus kept on comparing Himself to a bread, and even His blood to wine. Food and drink sustain our lives. Food is something we all need moment by moment. It is the number one basic need of every living organism. Jesus even taught us to say, “Give us this day our daily bread,” after praising and trusting God’s magnificence and power. Prayer

In the same way, Jesus is inviting us to depend on Him, and that His words become our sustenance. He has offered Himself to us so we can quench our thirsty spirit. He is the Bread who gives us eternal life. Psalm 34:8 says, “Taste and see that the Lord is good!” It didn’t say delicious. The Lord’s words may be bitter for someone who would presently want what’s worldly. Iit may be sweet for someone who’s been in his lowest. Or sour and salty for the rest. But one thing’s for sure, seeking the Lord is the most beautiful experience our souls can have. Just like the bittergourd that’s horrendous for me, but does wonders for my blood as I am anemic. The Lord’s Words are the best nourishment for our spirits in order to survive the daily challenges of being human. This we can do by digesting the Scriptures daily. There’s a ton of Catholic Bible guide books, both printed and online, and surely it is not too late to try today. I heard someone before said that the Bible must be the bread on our plate, a staple for daily living, not just a cake that appears only during special occasions.

Now ask yourself:

1. How much have I really depended on God’s will? Have I prayed about my woes more than I’ve talked about them?

2. Have I been giving my soul some vitamins? I have a number of supplements for my body’s health, but what about my mind and spirit’s well-being?

3. Apart from good food, working out is part and parcel of a healthy body. Have I complained about a difficult situation, that I forget that the Lord is my Holy Instructor teaching my spirits some new moves for toning and definition?

Prayer

Jesus, Your body and blood are indeed good for our souls. Thank You for being present in the Eucharist to continuously nourish us all. Amen.

*Tip from a foodie: Love crispy fried/baked breading? (Like those of Chickenjoy and breaded fish fillet?) Let the coated meat, poultry, or seafood sit for at least 10 minutes (and by coat that could be your own rub with flour or your simple pantry breading). Don’t go dunking them into the oil right away. Try and taste the difference. Yes, no need for egg (that’s extra calories). Super crispy? Do double-dipping. Coat your meat/poultry/seafood with flour. Then dip it into your batter (flour, seasoning, baking powder, milk/water), then finally coat with your favorite bread crumbs (mine’s Italian bread crumbs, others use Lays chips, yum!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you feel...

Followers

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP