Powered by Blogger.

Sunday 8 September 2024

Brought to Him

    

Twenty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time

08 September 2024

 
First Reading: Is 35:4-7a
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 146:6-7, 8-9, 9-10
Second Reading: Jas 2:1-5
Gospel: Mk 7:31-37
 
Reflection
By: Bernard Borja

“There are three quickest ways to spread a rumor: through the internet, through the phone, and telling your mother.” This was one of the jokes I read during Mother’s Day. But because today is Mama Mary’s birthday, I would like to honor her with this reflection. I remember I was a shy little child and growing up, I would always ask my mother to tell people what I wanted to say. I would ask, “Can you tell teacher about my homework…?” or “Can you tell my classmate that I need my pencil back…?” I also run to her every time I have problems. Come to think of it, don’t we all desire to run to our mothers most of the time, especially when we need something?

My prayers would often include asking for the intercession of The Blessed Mother. Like the song goes, “Sa aking paglalakbay sa bundok ng buhay, Sa ligaya at lumbay, maging talang gabay.” I always ask her to guide me to her son. Not that I can’t pray to Jesus directly, but I believe it adds to essence and “back up”. It’s like how me and my siblings communicate sometimes. I would ask my mom, “Can you ask kuya to pick me up somewhere…?” or my mom will ask me on their behalf.

In the Gospel today, I was struck by how the people brought the deaf man to Jesus and begged to lay His hand on him. It reminded me of how my mother became my spokesperson when I had “speech impediment” because I can’t find the words to say what I want. Just like the people who brought the man to Jesus and begged Him, The Blessed Mother also does this for us. She builds a bridge, or becomes a bridge herself, and brings us to her son.

How many of us now are deaf about injustices and oppression, not because we chose not to listen, but because we have already become numb? How many of us now who can’t speak for ourselves and are in need of someone to stand up for us? I believe The Blessed Mother can help us in these times. There is also a saying, “Silence is golden. Unless you have kids, silence is suspicious." I imagine how The Blessed Mother suspects that in most of our silent moments, something is bothering us. Like a mother who always observes her children and is on the lookout for our concerns. I also believe she participates in the fulfillment of Isaiah’s prophecy, “the eyes of the blind be opened, the ears of the deaf be cleared; the lame will leap like a stag, the tongue of the mute will sing.” by bringing us to her son. Through The Blessed Mother, Jesus tells us “Ephphatha!”.
 
I also want to share another saying for my last point: “Nothing is really lost… until mom can’t find it.” Sometimes, I think mothers do a better job than Saint Anthony in finding things. I believe that The Blessed Mother constantly looks for us especially when we feel lost. For her, no one is really lost. We just need to be guided to the right path and be opened. Just like Saint Monica led her son, Saint Augustine, back to God, our hearts will be restless until we are brought to Jesus and rest our hearts in Him. We can always ask our Blessed Mother Mary to bring us to her son. Like another song goes, “Puso ko'y pahimlayin Inay, upang yaring hamog ng gabing tiwasay ay madama ko bilang damping halik ng 'yong Anak. Ay! Irog kong Inay.”
Prayer

Dear Lord, we ask for Your heavenly grace that this day may bring deeper peace to those whose hearts are deaf and mute. We ask the intercession of our Blessed Mother Mary to tell her son our joys and sorrows, and whisper to Him that we love Him. Mariang aming ina, kay Kristong aming kapatid, akayin mo kami. AMEN.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you feel...

Followers

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP